I had a fantastic time (although way too short) in London! I spent the majority of my time in the Kensington area of London, as that’s where most of the sites I wanted to see were.
My first stop after arriving was here at Shaukat Fabrics. I heard about them through Cashmerette’s blog. It’s a fabric store that has a ton of Liberty fabric that’s much less expensive than at Liberty. There’s seriously about 8 or nine rooms that looked like this:
They’re precut at 2 or 3 meters apiece, with the price located on the cut of fabric. I couldn’t resist, and got two prints. I’m hoping one will turn into the 1940’s Tea Dress by Sew Over It that I got at the Knitting and Stitching Show.
Meanwhile, I also purchased this fabric as well:
Unknown fabric content, metallic and black fabric. I’m hoping it will turn into a Rose Dress, however I’ve hit a snag. The fabric REEKS. And somehow I missed it while I was purchasing the fabric. It smells like oil or something. I’ve washed it a total of 3 times, line dried in the sun and the smell just stays. I’m trying a patch test of Febreeze currently to see if that will help.
I did make a muslin of the dress while I was waiting for the fabric conundrum to be solved.
I did have to do some adjusting of the pattern in the waist. I can’t wait to see this done!
Last Saturday was our Branch IPS meeting. There, two ladies finished the quilt I designed. I wasn’t prepared to get so emotional when I saw the quilts! It was an amazing feeling!
I also gave a presentation on Cathedral Window Pincushions.
If you’re interested in making them, you can find the slideshow presentation I gave and the directions to download at http://www.ipscork.com.
I’ve also been hard at work on designing the quilt I’m planning to submit to the National Exhibition. Here’s the layout:
I’m really excited about finishing this one, and may even finish the top today! The latest national newsletter arrived yesterday and has several great articles on how to submit a quilt to the exhibition.
Now to plan on how to quilt the thing!